Friday, March 12, 2010

Planned obsolescence and products designed to avoid obsolescence


So, I've been on a "stuff" kick. Getting rid of stuff, only buying used stuff, repairing stuff that breaks instead of throwing it away. Planned obsolescence makes me batty - and perceived obsolescence is insane. This is the opposite of everything that I've ever believed in in design; that things should be beautiful and functional - well designed means lasting.

Now, the things that I'm ok with buying new include organizational tools (shelving, food containers) that are difficult to find used... not at all impossible, as the house is full of garage sale and thrift store shelves, but I just couldn't find a five gallon glass jar with lid used. (I'm having the same problem with a small chest freezer... they cost between 150-250 new, and everyone wants 125-200 used... come ON people)

The doctrine of planned obsolescence so pervasive I'm having a hard time coming up with products that are really made to last these days. Shoes fall apart so quickly, and good luck finding a cobbler to fix them. Ziplock and its ilk have made throw away leftover food containers standard (I admit to having some). Computers... yeah. Even much of the MDF furniture that is manfactured isn't expected to last more than a little while. I got a ironing board less than a year ago that is now no more than a hunk of scrap metal... totally worthless.

So, I'm wondering, what are some new products that are still made to avoid obsolescence? Things that are made to either not break, or made that if they break they are very much fixable? (One thing that I can say with some confidence, they most likely aren't made of plastic) Off the top of my head, I thought of these products (just talking about buying new here!):

Kitchenaid mixer - the old standby, and I dearly love mine. I know that there are local machine shops that work on them, and I know I can always send it to Kitchenaid for servicing.

Pyrex dishes and containers - yes, they can maybe break if you drop them, but they're made to last... and last... and last. I'm going to be trying to replace the plastic containers in my house with these. I know they won't leach anything into the food, and they're microwaveable!

Handmade wood furniture - talk about stuff thats made to last, find a local furniture maker, and you'll have what you get forever, and then some. I'd still opt for antique pieces most of the time, but if you want something new that won't fall apart and will be good for the local economy, this is the way to go.

And... humph. I'm sorta stumped. I could only think of two brand names. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm in the market for a good small chest freezer...

4 comments :

Unknown said...

As far as other small appliances, I love my Excalibur dehydrator. Practically indestructible, made in America, and they are green products!

Tasha said...

Oh, great call! Love the Excalibur dehydrators. My dad got an older one at auction, and with a bit of cleaning its running like a champ.

Tasha said...

Got another one: Cross pens. They last forever, and their company has a really good environmental track record (and they are made in the USA!)

Kelly Toby said...

One thought...almost any bicycle. Most parts can be purchased if broken, but people always want the new design so they purchase a new one.

Another thought...books. Yes, they can be destroyed, but if taken care of correctly, they can be handed down from generation to generation.